Are you one of the people who eat pizza once a week? There are always a variety of toppings to choose from for your pie. Today we will focus on what sausage goes on pizza. Are you asking yourself, “What sausage for pizza?” We will break down what type of sausage goes on pizza right here.
Italian sausage is the best type of sausage that you can use for pizza. With an anise-flavoured fennel taste, it is available either mild or hot. The best pizza sausage to use is 80 – 85% pork and 15 – 20% fat.
Supposedly 40% of Americans follow the trend of eating pizza once a week. In many families, a weekly pizza night is a favorite custom! The best Italian sausage pizza crumbled on top of a pizza is oh so yummy. Sausage kicks up pizza a notch by adding intense taste and staying moist through the cooking process.
What Kind Of Sausage for Pizza?
Although pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping (36% of people order this), sausage is in second place at 14%. The preferred traditional Italian ground pork is the norm. Hot Italian sausage contains spicy peppers, while sweet The best Italian sausage for pizza has sweet basil.
Aim to use sausage with 15 – 20% fat to ensure a juicy and succulent sausage. Sausage will not dry out like other meats, such as chicken. Yet, its juices will infuse flavor across the entire pie. Adding green peppers and onions creates the perfect balance for many.
Learn all about using chicken as a pizza topping here.
Tips When Using Sausage as a Pizza Topping
- Look for low sugar and low sodium types of sausage. In addition, stay away from the versions that contain nitrates. No nitrates are the only way to go.
- So how should you prepare sausage for a pizza? It is recommended to pre-cook most meats before putting them on pizza to ensure that no raw pieces end up on your final product. It is always a good idea to pre-cook bacon, chicken, ground beef, and even sausage.
- Some people like to put raw sausage on the pizza to create more flavor infusion across the pie. Take the ground meat out of the casing (if it is in the casing) and place it around the pie in small chunks. Place 1-inch pieces all over the dish and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, until the meat is brown and done.
- The safest bet is pre-cooking the sausage for a bit beforehand. Bake it at 400 F for 15 minutes or cook it in a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or so.
- Another option is slicing sausage (in casing) and cooking them on each side before lining your pizza with them.
Additionally, you don’t have to buy pork sausage. There are a variety of healthier, lower-fat options to choose from nowadays. Here are some of our top choices. When cooking these, you may want to add olive oil since they are not as juicy as the pork version.
- Beyond Sausage
- Tofu (find a recipe here)
Why Choose Sausage
While you shouldn’t eat sausage every day of the week, it is acceptable to indulge in sausage every once in a while. Like everything in life, moderation is key!
- High in protein: There are about 14 grams of protein in 100 grams of pork sausage.
- Lots of Vitamin B-12: B-12 works to boost the health of your blood and nerve cells.
- A good amount of iron: Iron is a mineral that aids in development and growth.
- A source of selenium: This antioxidant has an essential function in the health of your immune system.
How to Know if Sausage is Fresh
When buying the best sausage for pizza, pay attention to these characteristics to ensure you are purchasing the freshest meat.
- Look for pink meat with an aroma of herbs.
- It should not be grayish.
- There should be no slime around the sausage.
- If it smells sour, it is terrible.
Flavorful Sausage Pizzas
Below are a few popular sausage pizza combinations. Note that the possibilities are truly limitless. Feel free to add anything you deem delicious.
Each of the following pizzas showcases ground sausage as the main ingredient. Then add the rest of the ingredients for flavorful combinations.
- mozzarella cheese, green peppers, and onions
- mozzarella cheese, red onion, green peppers, and mushrooms
- ricotta cheese, minced garlic, basil leaves
Best Sausage for Homemade Pizza
Making pizza at home can be a fun and delicious way to get creative in the kitchen. But one of the key ingredients to making a really great pizza is the sausage. The sausage on pizza adds flavor, texture, and complexity that you just can’t get from any other topping. using sausage for pizza topping can change the entire concept of your pizza-making. So, what kind of sausage goes on pizza the best when it’s homemade? Let’s take a look at the best sausage options for your homemade pizza.
Italian sausage is by far the most popular choice when it comes to topping pizzas. It’s made with ground pork and spices like fennel, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic which give it an unmistakably Italian flavor. You can find italian sausage for pizza in both sweet and spicy varieties, so you can choose the one that best suits your tastes.
For those who like their pizzas with a bit of extra kick, Andouille sausage is an excellent option. This smoked sausage is made from pork shoulder or belly that has been heavily seasoned with cayenne pepper, garlic, onion powder, and paprika. Its smoky-spicy flavor pairs perfectly with mozzarella cheese and other traditional pizza toppings like pepperoni or mushrooms.
Chorizo is another type of spicy sausage that makes a great addition to homemade pizza. Chorizo is usually made from pork but can also be made from beef or turkey, depending on where you buy it from. Unlike Andouille or Italian sausages, which are usually sold pre-cooked, chorizo needs to be cooked before adding it to your pizza, so make sure you do this before baking!
The best store bought sausage for pizza is probably Johnsonville’s Hot Italian Style Sausage. For those who like their pizzas with a bit of extra kick, Johnsonville’s Hot Italian Style Sausage is ideal. This sausage is made with premium cuts of pork in a spicy red pepper seasoning blend that packs quite the punch. As an added bonus, this product also contains natural flavors and no MSG, nitrates, or nitrites – making it one of the healthiest options on the market today!
Where to Find the Best Sausage for Pizza-Making
If you’re in the mood for a delicious homemade pizza, one of the most important ingredients is sausage. But not just any sausage will do; you need to find a high-quality product that will make your pizza stand out from the crowd. So, where to buy sausage for pizza?
If you want to make your own pizza with sausage, your local grocery store is a great place to start. Most stores carry pre-made sausages that are ready to be used in your recipes. Look for products labeled as “pizza sausage” or “Italian sausage,” as those are usually made with higher-quality ingredients and can add great flavor to your pizza. You’ll also want to check labels for added MSG and preservatives; these additives can detract from the taste of your final product.
For even higher quality sausage, consider visiting an old-fashioned butcher shop near you. Butchers have access to fresher cuts of meat, and they often have a wide variety of pre-made Italian sausages in addition to their other offerings. Ask them what type of sausage would work best for a pizza recipe, then get ready for some amazing results!
More about Pizza
Do you know if “pizza is a heterogeneous mixture?” If not, click here to find out more.
Have you ever had a “Jersey pizza?” Read more about Jersey pizza here.
Read the article to learn how to rate a pizza here. Find out the questions to ask yourself next time you are enjoying a slice of pizza.
If you feel like some chicken wings, read all about “Pizza Hut wings” here.